What are the wastes in the Lean Construction industries?
There are eight (8) wastes identified by Lean Construction. In order to remember them, I use the acronym TIMWOODS:
1. Transportation: Unnecessary movement of material, products and equipment;
2. Inventory: excess raw material, products, tools and equipment;
3. Movement or Motion: People moving from one area to another without adding value;
4. Waiting: any kind of waiting such as material, information, held back from the
completion of a preceding activity;
5. Overproduction: Creating too many products than the customer need or before it is
6. Over-processing: performing extra steps or work beyond expectations;
7. Defect: incorrect work that needs to be repaired, replaced or scrapped;
8. Skills: underutilizing people’s talent, skills, creativity and knowledge.